Thursday, July 2, 2009

Wendall Berry

On KET this morning I found Wendall Berry speaking of peaceability and self sustainability, and ultimately it made me think of the forward stampede that the citizens and leadership of this country have learned to join. We've carried such a momentum for so long that has pushed us forward and forward and on and on that it has become close to impossible for a small herd of us to slow down and think about where were going. If we did stop, or even slow down our bodies would be pounded into the ground by the stampeders who find it impossible to slow down with us.

I know I dont understand all the push and shoves between self sustainability, the economy, and ultimately the direction of the country as a whole. But I do think the practices of preserving land, reusing matter, not being wasteful, and respecting the land that gives us life in the first place are very important to understand and uphold.

I'm going to start spending less, saving more, wasting none, recycling all that can be recycled (not just throwing cans and glass bottles into an orange tub), and riding my bicycle (because I was getting along fine before I had a car, and I need to learn to suck it up).

Actually, I think a lot of people could learn to suck it up.

Thanks Wendall Berry.

No comments: